Holding Things Lightly by Carmela Ariza

Allow me
To hold things lightly
For when I cling to them
I lose sight
Of the more beautiful
Of the more important
And the more fulfilling
Things in life

When I have an idea
Give me the wisdom
To hold it lightly
That I may give room
For this idea to grow
Along with other ideas
Acknowledging
Collective wisdom

When I have an opinion
Whether about an issue
Or about a person
Or even an event
Allow me to hold this opinion
Lightly
So that I could lend an ear
To other opinions I hear

When I have something
I call my favorite thing
Allow me to hold it lightly
So that I will not hold it
Too tightly
Grasping for more
Never letting go
Hurting myself or others

When I hold someone dearly
Allow me to relax my grip
On the one I love
So that she may grow
Through and with others
Affirming my part
As well as the role of others
In forming and shaping my beloved

When I am so attached to my life
Allow me to see beyond this life
And when the end is near
I shall gracefully exit
Not fearing
Nor doubting
That this road ahead
Is where I am meant to be

Help me to hold things lightly
Suspending my thoughts
Making space for something new
Stepping back
Taking a different view
Confirming, disconfirming
Breathing in, breathing out
Simply letting go